home tutorials features parties custom orders

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Signature Style Look for PR&P

I occasionally will participate in the sew along for Project Run & Play when I have a piece of clothing that fits the current theme of competition. This week, I timed things perfectly with my October Flip This Pattern introduction piece (the Hattie Coat), and the rest of Ella's new outfit--the Ayashe Blouse from Figgy and the Whitney Pants from Violette Field Threads. Throw in an amazing pair of black and white houndstooth shoes and a funky headband, and Ella has a terrific new signature style outfit for Fall!




First of all, if you missed my post from yesterday, please go check it out HERE. I have lots of pictures and details about how I created this amazing coat using the Hattie Dress Pattern from Brownie Goose. The fabrics for the coat are all from Cotton + Steel which has been my favorite collection as of late. Here's one more picture of the back of the coat to show a little more of the details I added.


Now onto the rest of Ella's new stylish attire!

The white blouse was sewn using the size 8/9 (yes, I typed that correctly) Ayashe Blouse Pattern from Figgy's. According to the pattern measurement chart, that's the size she needed, and I agree that it fits very well with a little bit of growing room.


I've now sewn this blouse three times (first and second), but this is the first time I've made it with long sleeves. I've said this before, but I really love this pattern! It is such a fashionable design with wonderful features and isn't difficult to sew (especially since the pattern instructions are so awesome).


For Ella's all white long sleeve version, I used a Robert Kaufman Rebecca's Embroideries White Circles cotton fabric. I bought it recently at The Fabric Studio, and although it is not listed in their Etsy shop, I'm sure you could call or email the owner and she would be glad to sell you some! The fabric is beautifully made and is the perfect weight for a blouse. Since Ella is now in school and can only wear solid color shirts with collars, I thought this would be perfect for this fall and winter.


The Ayashe pattern includes an option for a mandarin collar like the one I made or with a bias edge tie binding at the neckline. You can also leave the hem plain as I did or insert a drawstring or elastic to gather the bottom.

The pants are sewn using the Whitney Pants pattern from Violette Field Threads. These pants definitely have a boutique flare about them because of the front pleats and wide bottoms, but I much prefer this style over a typical ruffle bottom pant. The back has an elasticized waist with a wide plain front waistband. This particular pair is made in a lightweight denim and includes the optional belt loops and fabric sash. Although Ella is wearing a size 6 now in most clothes, this particular pair of pants is made as a size 5 and fits perfectly!


The Whitney Pants are very easy to sew (much easier than gathering ruffles in my honest opinion) and take only about an hour and a half to finish. Although Ella can't wear this particular pair to school (denim is not allowed), I plan to make her a khaki pair using a linen blend and without the sash.

Ella's signature style is completed with this adorable net puff headband that I bought her months ago at Gymboree. We've used it before in photo shoots, and she loves to wear it because people always compliment her when she does!


Her shoes are a black and white wool houndstooth slip on with a solid black fabric toe shield (for a lack of a better name) on the front. I bought these last year on clearance at Dillard's, and they just now fit her growing feet!

I also made Ella a matching purse that you can read about HERE.


Why isn't she carrying it in any of these photos? Good question! I made a mistake with my camera settings that I didn't realize until we were done with our shoot, and all the photos were useless! We essentially had to start over and when we did, I forgot to pick up the purse from the trunk of my car!

I adore this entire outfit and can't wait to make her more blouses and pants using these terrific patterns!



Thanks for stopping by today to check out Ella's signature style! Be sure to check out all the other sew along entries this week at Project Run & Play.

Have FUN sewing!

11 comments:

  1. This is sew very lovely;) she looks super comfortable in those pants that are almost culotte-like. And the coat is great in that fabric. Can totally understand how you adore this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I never really thought about, but yes, the pants do remind me of culottes with the flare at the bottom!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that coat is a showstopper! Love your fabrics and fun accents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! that whole outfit is pretty amazing! I love those pants, they are incredible!! A great signature style!! I just linked up my all boy style and I'm loving all the other links! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! There are lots of great looks this week. Headed to check out yours now!

      Delete
  4. WOW Veronica, you NEVER cease to amaze!! I would LOVE this blouse & pants in MY size!! Ella looks SEW chic! My Mom sewed all of my dresses when I was Ella's age but we didn't have anything THIS stylish back then!!! You are very Blessed w/ such great skills, Ella is a lucky girl! kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit. Love the detail on the back of the coat and fab colours. I agree on the blouse pattern - I used the same pattern this week. And yes will be using it again. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best blouse pattern out there for little girls. I know some people complain about the opening not being large enough to fit their child's head through, but I've never had that problem. Now I plan to make myself a similar blouse using a pattern from Blank Slate!

      Delete
  6. This is great, Veronica! That coat is stellar, and I love the Ayashe! Cotton + Steel. . . yummy :) Top to bottom -- it's a delightful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! So good to hear from you. I don't know what I will do when she can't wear this size any longer. The Ayashe only goes up to the 8/9!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!